The winter coat is an essential item for everyone woman’s (and man’s) wardrobe. The cold weather sure is coming on fast in Ireland, and if you’re out & about often you know exactly what means to stay warm and wrapped up. Looking good and staying toasty can mean spending a lot of money, but likewise the high street brands can offer up an impressive collection without breaking the bank. Remember for October I added the Kaven Dream @ Yes Style coat to my wishlist, I bought it and yesterday I wore it out for the first time. I love its girly hue, its girly features and most of all its warmth. There are trends for coats this season, from the soft pastels to the khaki parkas and the IT colour too. So for this I have a Designer VS High Street post for the best of the best coats to stay warm this Christmas season.
Not many can beat the classic black coat, and I’m loving the trendy longer length coat with the wide lapels and belted tie.
- Designer – L.K. Bennet have a gorgeous one here, also available at House of Fraser, that’s 90% wool and 10% cashmere so it’s sure to keep your warm & snug. Available at €568.65
- High Street – Chicwish also have a similar coat for less than €100, which in itself is just great! This wool and viscose-blend coat is sure to be your best friend for its stylish features. Available at €69.13
Pretty in Pink
For a powder pink coat, a wool blend with large buttons works very well in a mid-short cut. Pockets, bows or faux fur detailings are also a bonus for a girly girl vibe.
- Designer – YMC have this lovely double-breasted coat that cuts off around the thigh for a great show off of your skirt, jeans or dress on the day. Available at €390
- High Street – As mentioned above, I bought this Kaven Dream @ Yes Style coat for the season and it is warm, comfy and cute. It features a bow at the back, a detachable faux fur trim with flower inserts and is also double-breasted like the above designer, but for a fair cut of the price. Available at €56.34
Creamy Faux Fur
Faux fur is ever-trending for Autumn/Winter, so choose a neutral shade for you faux fur coat, opt for a collarless or short lapels one with little detailing on the coat.
- Designer – Maison Scotch offer this gorgeous button-less faux fur overcoat that promises instant luxury once you’ve cosied up inside this coat. Available at €317
- High Street – Glamorous is one of my favourite high street boutique brands, available in Topshop & House of Fraser. It’s single breasted with a short collar for classy luxe at an affordable price. Available at €84
A powder blue coat is a lovely fresh choice for winter, epitomising winter colours perfectly. Clean lines, wide lapels and minimal details are a great way to wear this colour. They go extremely well with blacks, whites, pinks and brown colours whether you want to work it as your main focal piece or colour block.
- Designer – I adore French Connection for their luxurious finishes, and this wool & cashmere blend is exactly that. An oversized fit with side slit pockets and popper fastenings to complete. Available at €315
- High Street – Forever 21 also have a gorgeous powder blue coat on offer, with extremely similar features to the designer aternative. Menswear tailoring is always on trend and this coat is the perfect high street pick me up for this winter. Available at €48.95
The Natural Biker
Up the ante with your biker jacket by choosing a brown leather instead. Brown leather jackets go great with pastels and neutrals as well as blue and citrus colours.
- Designer – Ted Baker is forever one of my favourite brands, and this leather jacket is a beautiful shade of brown with zip features and their signature printed lining. Available at €455
- High Street – On the lower price side, ONLY have this faux leather jacket that’s a lovely light brown hue. Zips and a button fastening collar finish up the details on this classic biker. Available at €39.95
As mentioned last month in a trend report, capes are extremely sophisticated, elegant and of course, very fashionable. They’re great for staying warm & classy for work, lunch with friends or evenings out. Look for easy fastenings in grey palettes for an easy match to your work outfit and party frocks.
- Designer – For the higher end cape, this Reiss is lovely with its tailored & flared finish in the light grey shade. It features silver accents and contrasting trims. Available at €295
- High Street – Chicwish is back again, and this time for this charcoal grey riding cape. Similar fastening to the above designer pick, but for a cheaper price, this cape is your next staple for the season. Available at €49.63
Also mentioned in an updated trend report, the parka coat is here to stay, and is perfect for college students & those working on-the-go.
- Designer – Diesel have a luxurious khaki parka, with trendy contrasting leather sleeves and zip accents, a dipped hem at the back and all the fastenings of a parka to keep out the wind. Available at €450
- High Street – I bought this Boohoo parka and I love it; it’s warm, stylish and fits snugly. I really do recommend it! It features trendy faux leather sleeves with a faux fur-trimmed hood, deep pockets and zips, buttons & ties up for über warmth. Available at €61
The Red IT Coat
If Pretty Little Liars is anything to go by, Red Coat sure was stylish. And this season’s it colour is that scarlet red, so I’m more than happy about that. Though some may think wearing a red coat is too much of a statement or an over the top colour for outerwear; forget about it! This is the trendiest colour for the season, and is bound to cheer you up instantly during those cold, dark wintry days.
- Designer – When it comes to trench coats, Burberry is the ultimate brand for their signature coat. I love the luxurious slim fit with fitted waist and narrow set-in sleeves, as well as featuring Burberry Heritage details such as a storm shield, gun flap and epaulettes. Available at €1,695
- High Street – Brands at Yes Style are super trendy for a cut of the designer price, and this trench by Hotping is a great alternative. It features the classic double-breasted close over, tortoise-shell buttons and a waistbelt. Available at €62.69