Here at Killer Fashion I have two big fashion obsessions: shoes and dresses! And with the party season truly upon us, it’s important to get everything sorted from the shoes to the dresses, and of course the handbags too. Y’all know I’m a lover of sequins when it comes to dresses, but I also love a stylish shoe and in collaboration with Lyst, I’ve fallen in love with Ghillie shoes all over again. Whether it’s a high heel or a fresh flat, I’ve whipped up five dreamy outfits I’m lusting after for the party season ahead, each of which feature the ever-trending Ghillie shoe.
You know how I’m a party girl, and I’m swamped with events each week (in the best way possible!), so I always like to look my best and dress to the occasion. Here are my five favourite party season looks featuring Ghillie shoes, sequin dresses and clutch bags:
- I love this classic combination of red & white. These Aquazzura Amazon Lace-Up Suede Sandals are the perfect statement red shoes for the party season. The open toe makes for a very modern Ghillie shoe, but its lengthy laces give it the traditional touch. Teamed with this Dress the Population White Sequin Embroidered Lace Minidress that has a beautiful finish, with its embroidered body that’s laced with sequins, and features a zigzag fringed hem & half sleeves; and this Love Moschino faux leather white round clutch and logo detail; this is a cute and tres chic Ghillie style. Available from €85
- I love discovering new brands, and these Pedder Red Jess Lace-Up Suede Pumps are exactly that. With their pointed-toe finish and the lower heel, this Ghillie adds sophistication to the look, which I’ve styled here with this French Connection Pink Sunbeam High neck Sequin Dress that I spotted in store a few weeks ago. To contrast the look, add this hot pink Michael Kors Jet Set Leather Clutch and you’re ready for anything. Available from €119
- A bold lystful Ghillie is this sexy Malone Souliers Montana Lace-Up Pointy Toe Pump. Another brand I’ve newly discovered, these heels feature a black & green snake-embossed leather upper with cut out details too. Wear with Aidan By Aidan Mattox Gold Embroidered Floral Sequin Dress, which features intricate embellishments and half sleeves, and Liu Jo Unicorno Strass Clutch for the ultimate finish. Available from €90
- Chic flats are all the rage, so get to it with these affordable River Island Ghillie Lace Up Pointed Flats. A slight heel for added style in faux suede; wear with this ASOS Crop Top Skater Sequin Droplets Dress, which is as sweet as candy and this Leghilà Bow Handbag. The combination of red and blush pink is a statement in its own right, hence the flat Ghillies. Available from €39
- Ok this look is all about luxury and glamour. Cue the Jimmy Choo Hoops Lace-Up Pumps, a pair of black pointed Ghillies with an all-leather finish. Then, teamed with this Club L Gold Plunge Open Back Sequin Maxi Dress in all its glittering glory and this fabulous Saint Laurent Monogram Lipstick-print Leather Clutch, it’s truly the most fabulous party look for the season. Available from €84
Did you know that the Ghillie shoe originates from Brogues
…which derives from the Irish word bróg that translates as shoes, and are five centuries old! The Brogue is of course a flat, low-heeled leather shoe with decorative perforations, that has since transcended into the Ghillie shoe. The leather Ghillie shoe began as a Brogue style, featuring the aforementioned decorations but had no tongue, instead it features long laces that criss-cross and wrap up above the ankle. For any Irish gals reading, you’ll recognise them from our days as Irish dancers, when we wore the soft shoe at many a féili or feis, and at practice dancing the reel and the jigs. And now, the Ghillie has become one of the most sought-after flats & heels in the shoe world, with its chic styles loved by celebrities, designers of all sorts and pretty much all fashionistas going. Take a look at my favourite Ghillie shoes found on Lyst, to have you inspired for AW15 looks!